This month’s edition of Steam Railway is a ‘Britannia’ special, as we celebrate everything about Robert Riddles’ ‘7MTs’.
Legendary railwayman Dick Hardy recalls his experiences working with and on the first BR Standard design, whilst Toby Jennings explores the history of the class prototype – No. 70000 Britannia.
Elsewhere in this packed edition of SR, we pay tribute to Sir William McAlpine – the man who rescued ‘Scotsman’ – who sadly passed away on March 4. There’s also part two of Tony Streeter’s interview with Tornado operations director Graeme Bunker, who discusses the ‘P2’ and the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust’s main line ambitions.
As always, we bring you the very latest news, comment and analysis from the world of steam railway preservation, including:
· Oliver Cromwell given boiler certificate extension
· Lynton & Barnstaple Railway gains Blackmoor extension approval
· Broadway station welcomes first steam in 58 years
· Betton Grange to go main line with Tyseley
· Severn Valley Railway spring steam gala round-up
You can read all this and more in the latest edition of Steam Railway – the world’s biggest selling steam magazine, on sale now!